Myloi of Mylopotamos
The little paradise of Kythira!
Myloi is located in the traditional village of Mylopotamos west of Kythira. The area is a brook with running water whose sources spring from the central square of the village, and in a few tens of meters they create the Neraida waterfall, continuing their course along the brook, ending up at the sea.
Throughout the route of the path there is running water, which essentially recreates the landscape, forming pedestals that in turn end up in small waterfalls, which in their downward course succeed one another, creating an unrepeatable scene of natural beauty among centuries-old plane trees and very lush vegetation.
In the past, the abundant running water made the area a place of exploitation, with the creation of many watermills there. The continuous flow of water and its channeling through a complex network of channels that led to the water mills and the orchards, turned the area into a place of commercial activity that employed hundreds of people every day, from the village which then numbered approximately 1400 people, but also from the neighboring villages that brought her raw materials that needed grinding.
There are not a few reports of the elders who lived in those days of glory, about the snacks and feasts that were held there by those who stayed out in the evenings to continue their work the next morning. Even today we see small houses scattered throughout the area, some even have wood ovens in their yards, some others are dug into the rock to house the animals.
Today, 5 mills are preserved in relatively good condition, one of them has been completely renovated by a private initiative, but in general there were about 25 in the area in total.
Attention: camping and lighting fires are not allowed in the Mills.
- Hora: 13,7 km
- Agia Pelagia: 15,2 km
- Port: 21,2 km
- Airport: 10,5 km