Library in Kythira
Library in Kythira
Municipal lending library
It was founded in 1983 after the cooperation of the Ministry of Agriculture and the Agricultural Cooperative of Livadi. In 1987 it came under the Ministry of Culture and since 1993 it has been supervised by it. The Organization of Children’s and Adolescent Libraries consists of 8 members, 4 of which are private and the remaining 4 are appointed by the ministry.
• Part of the organization of children’s and adolescent libraries.
• All the operating costs of the library are covered by the municipality of Kythera for this and it is referred to as municipal.
The municipal library of Kythira includes 7,000 book titles and is constantly enriched with new publications. There is plenty of audio-visual material, CDs of classical and traditional music, posters of famous foreign and Greek painters as well as various educational games. Educational programs are presented to children on a weekly basis. It also collaborates with all levels of education on the island (from kindergartens to high school) where, after consultation and selection of topics with the teachers, their presentation proceeds.
Action so far
To date, the library has displayed many and varied events, highlighting some of which we have to mention:
• Theatrical events with children’s participation. Usually these events take place not after rehearsals but from the mood of the children and their ability to improvise.
• Various entertainment and educational programs.
• Participation in Panhellenic and local painting competitions (we do not refer to the successes, we only keep the participation).
• Uninterrupted provision of information to students about various tasks in their schools.
• Reading fairy tales to young children.
tel: +30 27360 31949
|Hora||Castle of the Hora||Livadi||Katouni|